For over 90 years, Plumbers Supply Co. has built a reputation as the region’s ultimate supply and service source in the plumbing, heating, fire protection and piping industry. In 1921, John Werst Sr. co-founded the first of what have become five separate divisions, 14 branch offices, and a main warehouse facility boasting 45,000+ different products at a value of more than $20,000,000. Our tag line “Everything Under the Sun” has become our competitive advantage and given us a reputation as a one-stop-shop. Inventory is only a component of the value we strive to deliver as a company; our Company Mission is to “build trusting relationships with our customers and suppliers, allowing us to deliver the products and expertise they value.”
With so many divisions and branches, Plumbers Supply Co. has grown to become the preferred source in the region. Plumbers Supply Co. prides itself on continuing what allowed it to grow so successfully; extensive inventories, close customer relationships supported by knowledgeable staff, and quick response times.
Plumbers Supply Co. is organized into five separate divisions; Industrial/PVF, Plumbing, Hydronics/Pump, HVAC, and Fire Protection. Each of our branches maintains an impressive local inventory, and has the added advantage of drawing upon the 45,000 plus item inventory of the Louisville location.
Equipped with a massive fleet of trucks at each location, Plumbers Supply Co. can quickly dispatch everything from pick-up trucks to tractor trailers to your jobsite. Deliveries can be arranged for specific times, or in an emergency, one-hour deliveries can be made from each branch.
We have personnel on call around the clock, every day of the year, to allow our customers access to our inventory during emergencies. Ask us how you can check your pricing, stock and even place orders 24/7 via a secure Internet Account.
HISTORY OF PSC
Plumbers Supply Co. was established as a wholesale distributor business in 1921 by its founding father, John J. Werst, Sr., and six other partners.
The first location was opened at 610 E 3rd St in Lexington, KY with Charlie Werst serving as manager. The second location opened the following year in Evansville, IN at the corner of 7th St and Pennsylvania Ave (now Division St).
In 1930, the Louisville location opened in its present 1000 E Main Street location. One of the founding partners, Robert George, opened the Indianapolis store at 2015 Martindale Ave on the North Side. Indianapolis moved into a larger building at 11th and Cornell in 1940, remaining there until construction of I-65 in 1967. A new Indianapolis warehouse was then built at E Raymond St., which remains in operation today as our Indianapolis hub. Our Evansville, IN warehouse closed in 1972, then reopened in 1983 at its current location on W. Michigan Street.
Continued expansion into south central Kentucky occurred when we opened a facility in Bowling Green, KY in 1987. Plumbers Supply returned to Lexington, KY in 1990 at our present location on the corner of Industry Rd and Eastland Dr.
Additional branches have have been added in strategic Indianapolis and Louisville suburbs including Fishers, IN, Franklin, IN, East End of Louisville, KY, Elizabethtown, KY and Clarksville, IN.
Today the Louisville 1000 E Main St location remains as the only location in continuous use, strategically located at the intersection of the Butchertown, Phoenix Hill and NULU neighborhoods near the East End of Main Street.
The company is now under third and fourth generation management with John J. (Jay) Werst III serving as Chairman, and Jay Johnson as President and COO.